Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Would You Want to Know Your Future?

Here's an interesting question, "If you could know what your future holds, would you want to know?" I ask that because it's on my mind today.

Someone asked me once, "Why doesn't God just tell me how long I have to wait for ______?" (Sorry I can't fill that blank in to protect the asker but surely you can fill it in for yourself.) This person went on to say that it would be so much easier to know the date or time when God would end our suffering, answer that one prayer, whatever. It caused me to pause for a minute before I could answer.

Here's my conclusion. No, it wouldn't be easier. Often there is such a big journey from point A to point B that we would be scared to death if we knew what the end result would be. And yet God gets us there, one step at a time and all of a sudden, it's not scary at all. Secondly, and probably most importantly is if we knew all that is to come we would not have any need to depend on God and trust him for today. In our demented minds we would be self-reliant. My personal experience is that when I rely on myself, I get messed up--and quickly too. The point of life is that we live today because we don't know what tomorrow will bring or if we'll even have tomorrow. The gift of time is such that by not knowing, we are obedient today and live life to the fullest today.

So as you ponder that, what do you think?

No comments: