Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Freedom Isn't Free

The first truth about freedom is this: FREEDOM ISN'T FREE. Obtaining freedom always costs, and maintaining or protecting freedom always costs. Many lives are sacrificed for freedom's sake. For those who have given to that cause, I am grateful. For 232 years thousands have given the ultimate sacrifice of their life for freedom in America and abroad. While we cannot repay their debt, we can honor them by carrying the torch, continuing the fight, and remembering their sacrifice.

The second truth is this: FREEDOM COMES WITH RESPONSIBILITY. We must continue to fight, to vote, and to sacrifice. Freedom is not ours to hoard. We must help others who are oppressed and unable to help themselves. We must look outside of ourselves and recognize that many long for what we have and they deserve it as well. We will be held accountable one day for what we did with our freedom and what a shame to be found lacking.

I'm honored to be married to a Marine -- to somebody who gets what this is all about and is completely willing to die for the cause of freedom. I'm also unbelievably thankful that he returned from Iraq as so many have not. Before Steve left we had a conversation driven really more out of my own fears than anything else. I said to him one night, "you know, you might not come back. You could die." He replied, "Yes, I know that and I'm okay with it." I burst into tears. He said "You're not crying for me - you're crying for you. Don't worry about me. If I live I'll be fine and if I die, I'll be fine because I know where I'm going." He went on to ask me, "What better honor is there than to die for your country? It's not such a bad way to go." At that moment, in my sadness, I found joy.

I'll leave you with one last thought today. If we wait until the wolf is in our own backyard or on our porch, it's too late. We lose. Freedom is no longer ours. If you need further proof, reflect on September 11, 2001.

No comments: