Monday, July 9, 2007

Snap Judgments

Steve's Bible study lesson yesterday was on Matthew 7 and we spent a great deal of time as a class discussing the meaning of this passage as it relates to judging others. The basics are this: first, we should not judge the heart or motives of what somebody does; however, we can judge what is right and wrong based on scripture. Secondly, we are not to judge the unbeliever because that is God's job.

Don't get me wrong, this is NOT about being tolerant of any and every behavior. We are called to distinguish between right and wrong, hate the sin, but always, always, always love the sinner.

This morning my devotion was about how first impressions are frequently wrong. I have to stop and ponder if God is trying to tell me something! I admit that I am quick to make judgments but not about what people drive or wear, etc. No, my judgments are more sophisticated than that (as if judgments can be sophisticated). I frequently find myself making assumptions about why a person did something. Most of the time I conclude it is to bother me, exclude me, make fun of me, and guess what? Most often, I am wrong. I spend precious time thinking poorly of someone only to find out I was the doofus.

There is hope though. I am learning to to ask questions like "What does that mean? Is this what you intended? Please correct me if I'm wrong but did you...?" It's making a world of difference too. Giving people the benefit of the doubt...HHHMMM...what a novel idea...

No comments: