Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Don't Judge A Book By Its Cover

Last week in our staff devotions we heard the following kind-of-quote (I say kind of because I can't remember it exactly so I'm paraphrasing):
Be kind to everyone because you never know what heavy burden they are carrying.
Not too long ago I received a card from a woman I have just recently become acquainted with and am getting to know. She is truly one of the most encouraging people I've ever met. The thing that struck me most is that she wrote, "I didn't know you struggled with that. Before I got to know you I always thought you were strong, confident, and happy." My heart sank as I read those words--not because I thought she was being cruel, but because that is exactly how I want to be--always. But sometimes I'm not. I'm often scared, lonely, and sad. She saw through the facade and was basically saying "hey, you're a mess, just like me!" That's kind of why I think it's funny. The truth is we just don't know what's under the cover of that book until we read it.

So today I challenge you to be kind to everyone, even when they aren't, for the simple reason that you don't know what burden they have or how full of despair they are. Most often a kind response causes a change in behavior. But if it doesn't, you've still done your part and whether you think so or not, they will remember it.

No comments: