Friday, December 19, 2008

On Pins & Needles

UPDATE: Jake came out of surgery just fine although it was more complicated than expected. He also had an abscess in the right gland so that took some cleaning out. Oh, and his teeth needed attention. Despite our best efforts, these small breeds just have tartar problems and Jake does not like chew toys. I think they hurt his small teeth. So, once the bleeding stops we can pick him up! He'll have to wear what they call an "e-collar" (it's better known in our house as a lampshade) around his neck because he licks. One last note--the doctor said this about my boy, "he's such a cute dog..very sweet..a pleasure to work on." I'm such a proud momma:)

Anyone who has known me for even 5 minutes knows I'm crazy about my dogs. That's why this morning I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear the news about my Jake.

Last night he was fairly sedate and abnormally aggressive with Sam. He wanted to be picked up which is so not like him. So, I reached over and picked up him up noticing he was wet as I did so. At least I thought he was wet. I looked down at my hand and it was bloody. I mildly freaked out when we looked at the back end and noticed his fur was red with blood. Steve tried to look but Jake wanted no part of it.

Our vet had no emergency number so I just picked one out of the yellow pages and he took him in right away. Apparently dogs can have ruptured anal glands and that's what happened to Jake. He cried and squirmed as they examined him. I almost left the room. They said it would be best if they kept him until morning to watch him and treat him until they could do surgery. I cried all the way home.

I called almost 2 hours ago and they said he was about to go in and I still haven't heard anything. That's why I'm on pins and needles this morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jules - you are right...most of us DO know how crazy you are about the dogs. They are just part of the family as are mine! Keep us posted. jill

Molly said...

JULIE!!! I'm so glad for the update that Jake is okay!