Thursday, April 10, 2008

Song of a Soldier

A friend sent this to me this morning and I was moved to tears. The Song "If I Die Before You Wake" was written by 3 soldiers and performed by one of them.

Please take a moment to watch -- it is so worth it.

It brings to mind a few moments of fear I found myself in about a month after Steve arrived in Iraq. I hadn't heard from him in a while and one morning around 9 I received a brief email from him saying an IED had gone off close to them so they pulled down all communications. That ensured no false information was disseminated. Even though I knew that would happen, I still stared in disbelief at my computer screen. Before I could even read the next line the tears fell so hard I could no longer see the words. All of a sudden it was real -- he could die, perhaps even while I was sound asleep.

In those brief moments I prayed more earnestly than ever that God would bring him home safely. I was suddenly overcome with calmness and almost audibly heard God say "even if I choose to bring him home to me, he's still fine." At that moment, it was over for me. No more fear for his safety. Oh, I still missed him bunches and shed tears out of loneliness, but none out of fear. I later learned a man I adore had been praying for me at that exact same time.

As a final note, the next line of his email was something like "you don't need to worry about me. I was fine the entire time and in no real danger." Ah, a soldier's perspective is always different than a non-soldier.

No comments: