Sunday, April 13, 2008

Comforts Abound

It was 2 years ago today that I experienced the best day and worst day of my life. Strange that it could be the same day, yet it was. While I won't go into great detail and many of you know the story anyway, it was Thursday, April 13, 2006 when Steve and his Marines landed at 12:30 am amidst a huge crowd at the Waterloo Airport. As you might expect, I was in the crowd. A short 8 hours later I received the call that my dad had died. Sudden, unexpected, and my life has never been the same. That's all I'm going to say about that, lest the tears overtake me.

Even though I have no intention of memorializing my dad's date of death, it obviously crosses my mind -- not just today but on so many others as well. So while I knew this was the weekend, I can honestly say I wasn't as emotional as I was even on his birthday a few weeks ago. I've had bouts of tears but they are different. I don't think I can explain it but it must have something to do with the events below.

The most interesting things have transpired the last couple of days. I received 5 cards from different people. Just notes of encouragement and to say I'm being prayed for this weekend. It never dawned on me these friends would remember. I certainly didn't expect them to. One of them is so new in my life and didn't even live here when dad died. Yet they not only remembered, they took the time to send a card. Yesterday my cousin and honorary cousin stopped by with flowers. And today when I got to the sound booth there had been a pink flower and card left for me. Pink signifying I'm not alone and I am loved. And tonight I had a most amazing email from yet another friend.

At a time when I've felt very isolated and alone, God used each and every one of these women to minister to me so powerfully. Even if I wanted to deny that were true and wallow in my sadness, I simply couldn't do it today. There had to be a moment in the last week when the Holy Spirit prompted them to reach out to me, they were obedient, and I'm moved beyond belief. As Martina McBride sings, "I have been blessed and I feel like I've found my way. I thank God for all I've been given, at the end of every day."

One of my biggest blessings was you, dad. My hero, my childhood knight in shining armor, the man who taught me how to relate to God as my father, my Abba. You showed me by example what a husband should be and how to interact with mine. I'll never get over you. I'm still crazy about you. I'll love you always. I wish I could hear you say "That's my girl" or "Hey Jury Jury" just one more time. But I'll settle for the recording in my memory. I can't wait to see your face in glory. Until then, I must be about our Father's business.

No comments: