Monday, April 28, 2008

Pedals-R-Me

Today I rode my bike to work and had the most exhilarating experience. I decided about a month ago when I went part-time that one way I could reduce gas usage would be to pedal myself to work. Keep in mind I'm making half the money so cutting corners is becoming crucial to survival. I clocked the distance when I drove one day and came in at 1.7 miles. Not that far. Okay, I can do this!

Then last week Steve and I made a test run down here on our bikes to see how long it would take. We clocked in at 12 minutes. The ride down to the office was neither difficult or long. I thought perhaps we went faster than I normally would because 1) Steve was leading and 2) it was cold. I should know by now he leads at a slower pace than he would go alone because he knows my limitations. Nevertheless, I still doubt occasionally.

So, today I ventured away from the house with Steve calling after me to write when I get work. I pedaled my heart out because while I had allowed myself extra time -- a whole 3 minutes -- I thought for sure I was going slower than our test run. Imagine my delight when I arrived at the door in just 10 minutes! Muscles burning of course but a shorter time. And it's all about making good time, right?

Going home is the more arduous adventure. There is a gradual uphill climb from the office to King and then a bigger hill, thankfully not that long, to the turn off on 30th. From there it's the flatlands. Last time I was so thrilled to have made it to the top of the hills without a stop I raised my hands declaring, "woo hoo! I MADE IT!!!!" It was quite a moment. For me, this is big stuff.

But the exhilarating experience I referred to earlier is that I felt free. Sounds bizarre, but true. While the cars waited at that one light while it seemingly took forever to turn green, I zipped across the street when no cars were in sight. I realize I could be ticketed for this but it's highly unlikely. The wind was in my face, blowing my hair back, and I was free. It's good to be free, don't you think?

No comments: