Sunday, April 20, 2008

Celebration

In the midst of every day church life, sometimes it is hard to remember the reason we do this thing we call "church". We get stuck in the rut of our preferences and make it all about ourselves. But it is not. I wonder if anyone else hears second hand, overhears, or is told directly any of the following:

"I don't like the paint."

"I don't like the music."

"If we'd sing hymns, we'd attract more people."

"The KJV is the only reliable translation. If we don't use that, we're wrong."

There are so many more and going on just may make my blood boil. Preferences, each and every one of them. Tools of Satan. If he can distract us over any of these (and countless others to be sure), he wins and keeps us self-involved enough that we forget our purpose.

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations," Jesus said, "baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. And teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you and surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." (Matthew 28:19-20 NIV).

Tonight we celebrated a new life in Christ and the baptism as first steps of obedience. She was radiant. She couldn't stop smiling. She was full of joy. She encouraged me by her presence and reminded me that anything less than bringing others to Christ is not the purpose of the church. It is auxiliary.

Putting up with the rest is all worth it for this woman who was dead in sins and is now alive in Christ. If that is not worthy of a celebration, nothing is.

With deep gratitude to God tonight.

No comments: