Tuesday, April 1, 2008

No Foolin'!

Such a corny title I know but what else can I do on April 1? Seriously though, I do have an announcement and I'm not foolin' about it either. Today marks my first day of part-time work. I am so excited I can scarcely sit in my chair! The truth is I'd rather not work outside the home at all but that is just not our reality right now. For 2 of the years we lived in NC I didn't have a paying job and it was fantastic. I volunteered at the squadron, I was president of the wives' club and my friends and I would go to the beach, have lunch parties, go shopping. Yes, I was the quintessential officer's wife. Fully trained to deal with crisis, financial counseling, grief counseling, and all matters of military life. We were a lot like a church family. I loved every minute of it too.

For several months we've been waiting for God to open all the necessary doors to make this a reality. I have felt like I'm drowning, barely able to keep my head above water most days. When you spend all day working and 80% of your nights and weekends on ministry, it doesn't leave a lot of time for spouses, family, laundry, downtime, house upkeep, etc. I learned a lot about what is truly important and ridiculous expectations. For instance, until last week when my mom came to help me really clean, my house hasn't been nearly as clean as I think it should be and not meeting that too-high standard has made me feel like a loser. To those who come into our home every week the fact that I hadn't scrubbed my floors or baseboards twice that week was not even noticeable. I could give 27 other examples but you get the idea.

Just a short 12 days ago the big piece fell into place and we have been joyously praising God for working it all out. I have a hunch one last piece will be forthcoming but until then, we have much for which to be thankful. I have been ever vigilant in making sure to give God the glory because it is his and I don't want to be guilty of even trying to share his glory, let alone stealing it all together. Today I am moved by the words of Isaiah as they not only talk about God and his glory but about his purpose in this most recent season of my life:

"See, I have refined you, though not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction. For my own sake, for my own sake, I do this. How can I let myself be defamed? I will not yield my glory to another." ~ Isaiah 48:10-11

No comments: