Monday, December 3, 2007

Pre-Christmas Thoughts

As we move into the Christmas season I have many thoughts running through my mind. But because I just finished a study on Jesus, it occurred to me that this time of year is not just about celebrating his birth. It is equally worth reflecting on his journey to the cross. For without the latter, the former doesn't mean any more than the birth of the rest of us.

In the last few weeks of this particular Bible study we focused on the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. I'm not even sure I can relate the feelings I had about the verses below but they affected me in a way I had never known before and I was unbelievably humbled and deeply sorrowful at the thought. I guess growing up in the church and celebrating the resurrection (indeed it is worthy of celebration), I had not stopped to really ponder the death process. The horrific, unbelievably painful procession to the cross. I'm not referring at all to the spiritual warfare going on, strictly the physical. I wince even reading the words of Mark 15:19-20:

"Again and again they struck him on the head with a staff and spit on him. Falling on their knees, they paid homage to him. And when they had mocked him, they took off the purple robe and put his own clothes on him. Then they led him out to crucify him." (emphasis mine)
Isaiah prophesied about how this beating would affect his appearance in Isaiah 52:14:

"Just as there were many who were appalled at him -- his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man and his form marred beyond human likeness." (emphasis mine)
I wonder if any of these "beaters" later realized that Jesus was the son of God? And if so, how did they deal with the guilt that likely came as they realized what they had done to their Savior? Were they consumed with a never ending ache in their gut or did they fully receive the forgiveness offered to them too? I've wondered what side I would have stood on had I lived in that time -- for my Jesus or against him, shouting "crucify him! crucify him!"? I don't dare wander into arrogance condemning those who did because I am no better than they were. While I didn't physically beat my Savior, I guarantee I have caused him pain and he has been saddened by my actions more than once. But in it all I don't have to feel guilt every day and I'm learning to receive the full forgiveness of all my sins.

During all the celebration this season over the birth of a precious little baby, let's not forget that Jesus was born to die -- so that all who choose to accept him have eternal life. And let's not gloss over the severe punishment he suffered so we don't have to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said my sister. AMEN