Friday, December 21, 2007

Less Is More

Several years ago my family decided we would no longer buy gifts for each other but just for the kids. Well, you can imagine that first Christmas -- we didn't cut back, oh no, we just re-directed all that to the kids and it was INSANE! I realized what a disservice it was and to be honest, Erica and Peter don't really lack for much anyway. When you're the only 2 grandbabies / niece & nephew with all these aunts and uncles, you really don't want for anything too long.

So, Steve and I cut back, and cut back some more. After all, what is Christmas about? We decided 1 or 2 gifts at Christmas with lots of fun and face-time the rest of the year was far better. And it's been wonderful. The stresses of the season are virtually non-existent in our house. No financial strain, no agony over what to get for everyone, no long lines and hectic crowds.

Last year I tried something even more out there. We were all missing dad so badly and I wanted to do something truly special for the kids. Christmas was one of my dad's favorite times -- he loved giving gifts and watching little eyes light up, hearing squeals, and the pitter patter of little feet Christmas morning. It was never about what he got in return (or didn't), and it wasn't even about what he and mom gave but more about time together and remembering God's gift to us.

So, for Erica I scrapbooked her 16th birthday party where grandpa had given her the car and we did The Amazing Race Billings Edition for her and her friends. It was 2 short months later grandpa was gone. She loved it. One page in particular was touching - I took a picture of her, grandpa, grandma, and Peter holding the sign they had made for the car and I put it in the middle of a big heart with a scripture beneath.

And for Peter I wrote a children's book about his adventures with his grandpa and had a friend who is an amazing artist illustrate it for me. He adored it; and it turned out to be a gift for the entire family as each got a copy.

It's hard to be that inventive again but I've tried to match it. I'm so excited about what I've done for my family but for fear they may read this before Christmas, I can't reveal it yet, but I just finished it this week and I love it! I've also got to get Peter's finished (okay, started AND finished). Not much time but I've got it done in my head so I know where I'm going anyway!

And so I encourage simplicity at Christmas. Family and friends are more important that presents and food, and Christ is more important that family and friends. It's all perspective and it's all a choice. It may be too late for you this year but there is always next year!

No comments: