Saturday, May 2, 2009

Her Name is Rachel

A couple weeks ago I met a young woman at the event I spoke at. I hadn't planned on telling the women I was diagnosed with MD at the age of 15. The truth is it wasn't something I planned in my life nor was it something I really enjoyed. But there it was. One of those mysterious things that happens in life.

So why did I say it if I hadn't planned to? Simply because God pushed the words out of my mouth. He had a purpose for it too. Her name is Rachel.

Afterwards a beautiful 21-year-old approached me to tell me she had recently been diagnosed with a form of Muscular Dystrophy too. It's very different than mine but there are so many variations that the probability of us having the same one are minuscule.

Here's what she said: "I've never met anyone else with MD. I felt like a freak and people thought I was crazy. I knew what was happening was real but it was so hard to diagnose nobody believed me." I so totally understood what she was saying. I've been there. Doctor after doctor. Their skeptical eyes telling you they don't really believe you. You look fine. Your tests are fine. But you feel horrible. You know something is terribly wrong but nobody gets it, nobody can diagnose it. You're different than everyone else. All of a sudden you have huge physical limits yet at the same time all the weird things that have happened to you in your lifetime make a bit of sense. Freak barely begins to describe how you feel.

Tears filled my eyes as I realized yet another reason God allowed that in my life.

It was for Rachel. She needed me in that moment. I got the privilege of speaking to her for about 20 minutes. Then we hugged and parted ways. I may never see her again but I sure hope I do. Even if I don't, I'll remember her beautiful face forever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great story Julie! I love it when God shows us a purpose for the tough things in life. That's awesome!

Kelley