Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Morning at Home

I'm spending this morning at home. I wish it could be all day but if I don't work this afternoon, I don't get paid. Minor details, right? Plus, I committed to work extra this week to cover because of a training class so it would be rude not to show up.

Anyway, I so love being at home. There's a zillion things I can do (and should be doing instead of this), I never get bored, and I'm just at peace. That's what I looked at in my bible study this morning--being at peace--so it's fresh on my mind.

I definitely need the respite sometimes from the neediness in the world around me. I often wish I could barricade myself inside and stay for a llloooonnnnggg time. But what good is that for the kingdom?

In our Sunday school lesson this week Steve talked about Christians being salt and light in the world. How can I do that if I hole up in my house and do only the things that make me happy and contented? I can't.

So I'm called to go out, even as soon as this afternoon. But for now, I'll bask in my morning of rest and solitude. My soul needs it so badly.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I love being at home too! I can see how both extremes (being too busy out in the world, or being too inward-focused and avoidant) are not good. It's definitely an issue of balance. But I hope you had a wonderful morning, Julie, and enjoyed every minute. I know that you don't get 1/2 days of days off very often.