Thursday, May 7, 2009

Random Hilarity

I am so easily amused that this will probably not be nearly as funny to most of you as it is to me. The other day we were in staff meeting and someone noticed our youth pastor seemed to be tired. Indeed he was. He had just returned from a collegiate ministry conference which had a fairly brutal schedule. He said:
"Man, I am so tired. Breakfast started at 7:30 and we ended at 9 or 9:30 pm every night."
Everyone kind of nodded in agreement that the schedule was long. But then my hilarious husband (at least I think he is) remarked:
"That is a really long breakfast!"
We erupted in laughter. I couldn't stop. An hour later I was still chuckling about it. Who am I kidding? I'm still laughing at it all over again as I type.

It reminded me of something that happened the day we were choosing a burial plot for my dad. My grandpa died in 1961 (my dad was 17) and my grandma in 1998. When grandpa was buried, it was in a single burial plot. For whatever reason grandma didn't buy a double but apparently began to wish she had. Over the years she commented frequently about how she should get a double plot and have his remains moved. She never got around to it. Strange that in 37 years a person can't get around to something but I guess time flies.

When grandma passed away, my dad went ahead and purchased a double plot and had his dad moved. As we stood in that same office choosing a plot for our dad, my mom was telling the story and said that when the remains were exhumed, all that was left was a few bones and a piece of a suit.

Not knowing what to say and seriously consumed with our own grief, nobody said anything for a minute. We stood there looking at each other. Steve was leaning in the doorway of a small room to the left of us. This next line has become a family classic. He casually said:
"Wow! That must have been some suit!"
We all laughed hysterically. We couldn't contain ourselves and oh, did we ever need a release from the grief!

But, you really have to know Steve or be around him for a while to understand just how funny he is and catch on to the humor. So, for those of you who don't really know him, you might not even find this post funny. You might even think that line was inappropriate or out of line. I promise you it was not, at least not in our family. I think it's hysterical. I think he's hysterical. God knew I'd need a husband with an amazing sense of humor. There would be no other way we'd last.

I'll post a couple more funny lines from the process of funeral preparations later:) I'm sure you're on pins and needles.

No comments: