Wednesday, January 7, 2009

That Still, Small Voice

I know I’ve hurt people in the past. I know I will again. I don’t do it on purpose and when I realize I have (whether I figure it out or am told), I always try to make it right. Lately I’ve apologized a lot for things that while not my fault initially, maybe I didn’t take action soon enough or I didn’t think it through enough. For those things I really am sorry.

Very recently someone said something so mean to me that in spite of my best efforts to hold the tears back until I made it safely to my car, I could not. I even told this person how it hurt me and that it was unfair / unjustified but they didn’t care. Just more was heaped on until I walked out the door, asked by this person to leave. I cried so hard on the way to work that I had to pull over because I couldn’t see through the tears.

The thing is, I did not do anything wrong. Nothing. I didn’t do things the way this person wanted me to, but it wasn’t wrong. As a matter of fact, this person has done the exact same thing which was okay when they did it but not for me.

There wasn’t really anyone I could share full details with either. I wanted to call the friend I had been closest to but she told me a couple of months ago she didn’t really want to be my friend anymore, remember? The other person I could trust this to lives in Georgia and I didn’t want to call and dump it on her because it’s been about a month since we talked. That made it worse for me because then I felt so alone too. I finally composed myself enough to work for a few hours.

To make matters worse, when I got to work and turned on my iPod, the song “Daddy’s Hands” came on which made me cry all over again. I wanted to tell my dad all about it but couldn’t.

Then a still, small voice in my Spirit said “oh, but you can tell your dad. Not your earthly one, but Me, the One who can do something about it.”

Oh how I love that still, small voice.

No comments: