Friday, January 9, 2009

Snubbed…At Church!

This past week I was snubbed at church. It was no accident. I’m actually amused at the lack of sophistication in the process.

I was with a group of 4 or 5 women and this other woman came up and made a point of speaking to everyone except me. Always the optimist that people don’t intentionally mean to hurt me, I convinced myself that it was an accident or just my imagination.

So I spoke to her later as we walked by each other and she looked straight ahead not even acknowledging my presence. Then it couldn’t be denied - it was intentional. She’s mad at a decision Steve made a couple of months ago and hasn’t spoken to me since (explain to me how that one works!).

Here’s the thing—I’m really sad for her and while it was obviously meant to be personal, I just refuse to allow Satan that foothold. But many others don’t have that kind of insight to situations like this and so they get hurt in church and never come back. In that past 2 months Steve and I have heard three different people say this about themselves or someone close to them: “we were hurt in church and stopped going.”

It’s all too real. And so unfortunate. If there were ever a place someone shouldn’t have to deal that, it should be God’s house.

No comments: