Saturday, January 10, 2009

Not So Funny Lately

I suddenly realized this morning that life has not been so funny lately. Historically my life has been full of one funny adventure after another. For a minute I thought maybe it's just my outlook on things but I dismissed that rather quickly. I still find humor in so many things but it seems lately there is far more pain and heartache.

Dang, it seems that tears come almost as frequently as laughter. The reason? I think God is taking me through a season that he'll undoubtedly use later but even now I really have my eyes open to the hurt and anguish that exists around us every single day. I've never had such focus--it's almost as if I've got another set of eyes that sees beyond the obvious and into the soul.

I'm not alone or in bad company over this one either. Genesis 6:6 says this:
"The Lord was grieved that he had made man on the earth and his heart was filled with pain." (emphasis mine)
God feels pain. His heart was full of it and certainly we cause him grief and pain just as much today as in Noah's day.

This fits in so perfectly with Ecclesiastes chapter 3. Here's what verses 1 and 4 have to say:
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance."
Yep, in good company although I truly hope a season of laughter greets me soon.

No comments: