Friday, October 24, 2008

Such a Dork

Last night a friend shared in Bible study that every time she opens her mouth she changes feet. I've heard that before but it was particularly funny to me in light of what I've done in the last few weeks.

So, I started a new job 3 or 4 weeks ago now. I really didn't think I'd last this long and initially wasn't too excited about it but figured I didn't have to stay if I didn't like it. It's one of those no-challenge kind of jobs but I've discovered a few reasons why I'm supposed to be there. Fortunately my other job requires me to think, many times really hard, so the balance is okay.

Let me back up...before the incident at work, I did virtually the same thing at church. I walked up to this woman whose husband has been coming to Sunday School and said "Hi, you must be (insert her name). I'm Julie." I had spoken with her on the phone so I wanted to put a name with a face. She looked at me kind of funny and said "yes, I am." I said "glad you're here--it's nice to finally meet you!" I walked away quite proud that I had the guts to do that because it's so far outside my comfort zone. I sat down as the service started to do the words on the screen and about halfway through the first song it dawned on me I had totally met her a few weeks earlier. I saw them in the hallway and rushed over to meet her before they left. No wonder she looked at me funny. It's like I had never seen her before. I'm pretty sure I was red-faced the rest of the service.

A few days later I was at work and this guy walked in and said "Hi Julie. How are you?" I replied, "Fine, thanks." Then as I sat there I thought about how he always greeted me but I couldn't remember his name. So, I said "okay, I know you've told me before but can you tell me your name again?" Of all the names in the world, it is Steven. You'd think I'd remember that, right? He walked out of the office and then it dawned on me he started the same day I did and we'd sat through 5 hours of orientation together. Just the two of us. And I couldn't remember his name? What in the world? I sat there uncomfortable for a few minutes and then walked out the door and said "Steven, I can't believe I didn't remember your name when we did orientation together and sat there for 5 hours." He seriously just stared at me with this blank look.

Here's the kicker...he said "um, no, I started a month ago!" I could have withered into a corner I was so embarrassed. I muttered "oh, must be a different Steven." Indeed it was...for some reason it never dawned on me there could be two guys both named Steven. At this point if I ran into the other one, I'm not sure I could pick him out either.

However, since that day I've not forgotten this particular Steven. I guess that's a small consolation prize.

No comments: