Friday, October 31, 2008

Not So Sure It Was A Mask

I've never quite understood Halloween. As a kid I dressed up and went trick-or-treating (I know, some of you are adamantly opposed) but it was a different time plus I think adults read way more into all of it than kids do. For a kid, it's just free candy and fun dress up.

But what I don't get is adults who dress up and "celebrate" Halloween. I went to the grocery store this morning and many of the employees were dressed up. I wouldn't do it but it kind of made sense that it could be a fun thing to do at a store like that. However, I saw customers dressed up too. That's right, customers. Now that I don't get.

There was a guy walking towards me pushing a cart and for the life of me I couldn't figure out if he had painted a mask-like thing on his face or if it was just his normal face thing. He had some dark black lines drawn that connected his piercings so I think it could just be his every day face. I hope I didn't make him feel uncomfortable because all of a sudden I realized I'd been staring at him far too long as we approached. As we passed I just smiled and said hello. Maybe that fixed it.

Of course, if he didn't want people staring he shouldn't paint black lines or have 5 piercings on his face. It just kind of begs to be stared at.

Just a random musing for today. Plus it kind of made me laugh as I pondered whether it was a normal face or once a year face.

No comments: