Friday, October 3, 2008

New Glasses..and Vulnerability

This post will help you understand why I am the way I am. As with most people, I am influenced by my friends. Fortunately they are great girls with hearts for God and all of them serve like crazy. So, I don't mind being influenced by them and of course I influence them too so maybe all this rubbing off on each other is what makes us all similarly weird.

My friend got new glasses this week. Actually, she's never worn them before now. A couple of weeks ago at the conference (yes, I am still soaking it in and will post about it soon) I was watching as she tried to read with great struggle and difficulty. I told her that wasn't normal and she needed to see an eye doctor. She did....there's that influence thing. Or she might have anyway but it makes me feel better to take some credit.

Anyway, she told me on the phone today that when she picked them up and put them on, she repeatedly remarked how clearly she could see when she put them on. She proceeded to take them on and off, all the while remarking about the clarity. Um, yep, that's what they are supposed to do. But, the funniest thing is that she asked the lady, "are these so clear because the lenses are clean?" Apparently the woman looked at her as if she was a brick shy of a load.

As soon as she said it she realized how ridiculous it sounded but the cat was out of the bag, so to speak. As she told me this my first response was laughter but then I realized this is one of the reasons I love her so much. She isn't afraid of being vulnerable.

It's a scary thing to lay it all out there because the potential for hurt can be so great but the rewards of doing so are also so great. Of course many things we share stay between us but things like this we allow one another to share freely.

Love ya T!

No comments: