Thursday, October 23, 2008

Boils The Blood

Just a quick thought here. Well, it's quick in my mind, let's see how quickly it comes out.

Why is it that when someone needs helps and you offer help (not because they asked but because you figured it out), they still refuse? I get that asking for help is really, really hard. Particularly for those of us who are fiercely independent and have a strong "I can do it myself attitude." Yes, I know how that goes against the grain of community and spiritual family but that's not the topic today.

But, in cases where you didn't ask but someone either just noticed it because they're smart and/or discerning or because someone else noticed and spread it around, why not just take the help? Why not just be thankful, gracious, and let others minister to you?

I think it's 2-fold. First, it's all about pride. Admitting we need help makes us weak. Second, if we take help, we can't wallow in self-pity--believing we're all alone, nobody loves us, and life is just too hard (insert whiny sobs here).

Honestly, I can't think of any other reasons to refuse help. It just doesn't make sense. Okay, my blood is no longer boiling so I can return to the tasks before me.

No comments: