Friday, October 10, 2008

Manna

What an eye opener in my Bible study lesson this morning! As you may or may not remember, the study is on idols and we're about halfway through. We've identified them, defined them, prayed against them and now we're beginning to look at leaving them.

The lesson took us to Deuteronomy 8:3 and 8:16 which tell us that manna was used to teach them and humble them. Basically they needed to remember that "man does not live by bread alone." They missed the point as they wailed for meat but here's what I noted: God gives us seasons of living on manna because we can't live on it alone. We must depend on him for the rest.

I'm not just referring to money here either although this week I had the great privilege of seeing that provision too. It can be anything. The bottom line is that the only thing we can live on that will stand alone is God himself.

Not terribly profound but enlightening to me anyway. There was another huge eye opener this morning but I want to wallow in this one for today.

No comments: