Monday, November 5, 2007

Another First

Yesterday Steve conducted his first Lord's Supper, aka Communion. I'm not even sure "conducted" is the right word but what else can I use? Anyway, he did it solo -- no trial run next to a seasoned pastor, no sidekick. And guess what? It was great! God did a great job through Steve.

I stepped out from behind my fortress where I run the easy worship and sermon and sat in the front row, hopefully to encourage Steve. I even winked when I caught his eye. The truth is he didn't NEED me there but I'm sure he didn't mind having me there either. I'm still in disbelief that this is really our life now - it's all surreal and very strange.

Then last night we had a Missions Supper where, as a mission church of EBC we had a table and Steve had to speak for 2-3 minutes about what's going on. I was at a table with some friends and she grew up with Steve so has known him a loooonnnnng time. She says she knew him when he was an obnoxious, smart-aleck boy so not much has changed really. Back to last night....by way of introduction, our pastor commented how when Steve returned from Iraq and met with him about his call, he said "you know, Steve, you're going to have to talk in ministry." Everyone laughed, especially those who know Steve so well -- to say he's a man of few words is an understatement. And then he stood up and as our friend said:
"He worked the crowd, stepped out around them, and ended with a joke. I'm so proud!
I am too Darla, I am too!

Stay tuned tomorrow for my musings on Erica's trek to Winter Formal this weekend.

No comments: