Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Our Little Princess

On Saturday night Erica "went" to Winter Formal. I put that word in quotations because the crew she was with never actually made it to the school-sponsored dance. They went to a nice dinner and then to a friend's house to hang out. Steve put some thought into being there when her date arrived, cleaning a gun with 3 or 4 others close by but in the end, he settled for a picture with her and we left long before the pick-up time. She certainly didn't need an audience!

This is one of those events that reminded me she is 95% grown up and while it is so exciting to watch, it is equally sad to watch. There are times when we have so much fun I'm thrilled she's able to drive, feed herself, and of course way past the diaper stage. But then there are those same times when I'm sad she doesn't have to depend on me to take her home, help her across the street, or scoop her up when she falls down. Oh how I miss the days of her lifting up her arms to be picked up and needing a step stool to reach the counter while we make pizza. Well, she still needs a step stool sometimes because she's height challenged but that's a different story...

I saw her in the dress last week but it took my breath away when she walked out with her hair up, make-up on, and the dress with heels. I wanted to cry. Even as I type this the tears well up. She is beautiful but for so many reasons other than the obvious. It's who she is, her sense of humor, lack of common sense, and so much more. I couldn't be more proud if she were my own. I keep thinking about how my dad would have reacted at the sight of her this past weekend. Oh, he would have been so proud....BUT....he would have struggled as I do at the thought of his little princess going to formal.

All I can say is look for yourself -- you'll see why I am overwhelmed.

No comments: