Monday, November 26, 2007

A New Tradition

This was the first Thanksgiving in 11 years that Steve did not have to work the night before and sleep half the holiday. So, I thought to myself, what can we do to commemorate? Well, Steve and I started a new Thanksgiving tradition this year and it was an unbelievably solid foundation for the remainder of the day. Maybe it should be a daily tradition and not a Thanksgiving one!

First we took turns thinking of 10 things each we were thankful for with the only rule being one couldn't say, "yeah, that one for me too." My logic behind that rule was that I could see Steve doing that very thing...yep, that's a good one, count that for me too. Amazingly enough, only 1 thing was repeated. As I stated in my previous post, we do indeed have a lot to be thankful for and I need to remember that more than ever right now.

Secondly Steve chose a scripture (I Chronicles 16) of thanks, in this case David's prayer of thanks after bringing the ark to Jerusalem. It's the bulk of the chapter but really worth the read for all types of occasions, not just thankfulness.

Finally we spent some time in worship through song, actually 4 of them. It was amazing. I don't even know how long it took but all I know is that when it was done, I realized I had very little time to boil my potatoes. But in light of what had just taken place, did I even need to care anyway? Probably not but as you might imagine, I did.

I'll end today with one of the verses from I Chronicles 16 (it's verse 25):

"For great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; he is to be feared above all gods."

No comments: