Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The "Why's" of a Child

Steve and I have a new little friend in our lives and no, it's not a puppy! Good guess, but no. She's a sweet little 18-month-old and we get the privilege of watching her for a few hours a week while her parents go to their small group. We also see her on Sundays as they have joined us out in Laurel for church.

Not being her parents, we get to enjoy everything about her and we don't have to be her main avenue of discipline. She's quite funny and oh-so-smart! She also happens to be in the "why" mode....yep, already....pray for her momma! In the midst of all these why's, I am reminded that often children ask why because they are trying to figure things out but sometimes because they just want to annoy an adult. HHHMMM...any spiritual implications here? I thought so!

I recalled a really funny why story from one of my many days with Peter. We got in the car with the Wall family and headed to the Big Timber water slide. Peter was probably 5 or 6 and being ever curious must have asked 100 why questions prior to this. After a few moments of silence, the following conversation ensued:

Nana, don't you think it's a beautiful day?

Yes I do.

Why are there so many trees?

I don't know - because there are.

But why?

Because God wanted them there. (ah, thinking I'd put a lid on it....)

Why does he want those trees there?

I don't know - he just liked it I guess.

How did they all get there?

They spread from tree to tree.

But who put the first one there?

SIGH (exasperated)...God did.

silence....little wheels turning....

Nana, God must have a really big shovel to reach all the way from the sky
to the ground!

Everyone in the car exploded in laughter! Peter looked at me and said "do you know why you're laughing?" Really he meant, "why are you laughing at me?" Well, we weren't really laughing at him but try to explain that to the ever curious "why" child!

Indeed he does have a big shovel, sweet pea, indeed he does!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so funny! The way a little mind things is amazing...