Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Past Few Days

As my previous post mentioned, I was headed to Georgia. Now I can say "been there, done that"! But for the fact that my cell phone wigged out and is now broken and the extremely exhausting days of flying, I had a marvelous time! Returning Tuesday I began at 6:30 a.m. Eastern Time and ended my day by arriving home at 10:09 p.m. Mountain time (yes, exactly). For those who may not be time wizards, that is 12:09 a.m. Eastern Time Wednesday morning - yes, 18 really long hours.....

Sunday we spent the morning at church and I was struck at how unbelievably different it is. Dave and Lonnie didn't just get called to a new place, it is very, very, very different. Did I mention how different it is? The culture, style, people, and traditions are all so very different. Same denomination yet so vastly different. So the fact that they not only survived but are thriving gives me an all new wonderment for my friends.

After lunch out and a brief nap (brief for me, long for Lonnie) we went to St. Simons island, sat in beach chairs, walked the pier, window shopped (everything was closed) and before picking up Dave we had one of my favorite times there. We spotted an Adirondack style swing and we sat side-by-side talking, laughing, crying, swinging, and laughing some more. I knew I deeply missed my friend but at that moment I realized it's not only because she's amazing but also because I've not found another friend to share my life every day like she did when they lived in Billings. Girls need friends like that, you know? Someone to sit and swing with, who will laugh at the funny, cry at the sad, and sometimes just sit when words are not appropriate. She didn't try to fix me, she didn't scold me, and she didn't make me feel like a freak. She wasn't too busy for me, didn't act like she had a thousand other places to be and we just basked in the friendship God has allowed us to have. We ended the day with a chick flick and "Lonnie" popcorn (man, she makes GREAT popcorn)!

After sleeping in on Monday we loaded up the bikes and headed to Jekyll Island -- no small feat to load 2 bicycles into a Taurus! There is a bike path around the entire island but we did just 1/3 of it to Driftwood Beach. We had lunch, hilarious adventures (seriously, I almost wet myself), and then headed to a part of the island where a resort had been built at the turn of the century along with winter homes by the insanely wealthy. While the resort is still running, the houses are part of the historical society. We walked around looking in the windows and visiting the small shops and ended that time much like the day before only this time by the croquet greens in individual Adirondack chairs. We headed out, stopping at Long John Silver's on the way home. After some personal Bible study time we met in the t.v. room for another chick flick and more "Lonnie" popcorn. For two whole days I didn't have to be anybody other than myself -- nobody was critical or judgmental of me, nobody told me how I need to act or need to change. And I was completely relaxed. If only Steve could have enjoyed this time with me and catch a glimpse of his fun-loving wife once again.

On Tuesday as she dropped me at the airport, Lonnie grabbed my hand and prayed for me by the car as tears streamed down my face. Don't get me wrong -- I was so happy to be coming home but I don't get time like this very often and certainly rarely with Lon. And I miss it.

So, that was my trip -- there are other places nearby I'd like to visit so Steve and I will have to make it back at some point. My airplane adventures in another post....

No comments: