Thursday, October 11, 2007

Isolation - Good or Bad?

Last night as I was doing final preparations for my Bible study lesson tonight, I spent considerable time pondering isolation and whether it's good or bad. One of our daily lessons touched on isolation and I've decided to expound on that for tonight.

After studying scripture I've concluded that the answer to "Isolation: good or bad?" is "yes". Of course I realize it's an or question but I'm holding firm to my answer!

It is good when used by God and there are indeed times he appoints for isolation. The apostle Paul is a perfect example - after his conversion he spent some time in the wilderness alone with God. Isolated for a holy purpose. The gospels frequently record times when Jesus went to a solitary place to pray which again points to isolation as appointed by God for a holy purpose.

However, isolation can also be a very dangerous place to find ourselves. One of Satan's frequently used methods is to isolate the believer from the flock and then it's so much easier to take us down. When we choose isolation as a way of escape because we don't want to deal with something, we have crossed into dangerous territory. We don't have the fellowship and accountability of other believers to keep us going, we begin to feel sorry for ourselves, and ultimately, we lose.

God created us to belong, to need each other, and to be part of a family. Scripture speaks often of this too - Jesus sent the disciples out 2 by 2; in Acts they are always with other disciples and the examples go on (trust me, there are many more examples). I'll end with Ephesians 4:16 which addresses the very benefit of "together".
From him [Christ] the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.

No comments: