Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Nobody

I won't go into pages of details about the why's and who's and what's, but I have felt like a nobody lately. It's not a great feeling but 2 things happened over the past 3 weeks that have really made me ponder my status as a "nobody".

I hadn't shared with anyone other than Steve that I was really feeling this way and he would never repeat portions of conversations where such deep hurt is involved (truth be told he never talks about anybody negatively or about their "stuff" which is a topic for another day). In spite of such secrecy, it was at a luncheon a few weeks ago as I was visiting with a woman I absolutely adore that the most unbelievable thing happened. She looked straight through me as she peered into my eyes and said:
"I just want you to know you're a somebody to Jesus."
Holy cow! Short of a spiritual revelation, how could she have known? I seriously wanted to burst into tears but knowing I was not in a place where that would be appropriate, I really had to choke those tears down. All I could do was shake my head in agreement.

Then this week I came across a passage in scripture that stopped me in my tracks. It comes from Philippians 2:5-7:

"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness." (emphasis mine)
So, if Christ made himself nothing, why should I be above being "a nobody"? Am I not to become more Christlike every day? Deep, deep stuff to ponder.

No comments: