Monday, April 20, 2009

Thinking Lapse

Steve and I went to a birthday part of a 3-year-old Saturday evening. Here's the memorable conversation that ensued after she opened a gift of sidewalk chalk (R is her aunt; G is her grandma):

R: You can use that to write on the sidewalk and in the driveway!

G: But you can't write in the street.

Julie: Why can't she write in the street?
Silence.

G: Because of the traffic in the street!?!

Julie: Oh, yeah. I thought maybe it was some weird town ordinance in Laurel or something.

Steve: See now why God didn't give us any children?
Laughter. Laughter. Laughter.

Seriously - it never crossed my mind about playing in the street. All my mind could focus on was what a weird town law that was. You know how when you get focused on one line of thinking and you just can't see around it? That was me during this conversation.

I'm sure now my friend's parents think I'm a total idiot and they'll be frightened every time we watch their granddaughter. Of course there was that one time we put her in a dog crate...but it was totally her idea.

No comments: