Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I So Blew It!

Today Steve and I had lunch with some friends (and we ate outside no less - yeah spring!) who had just experienced a really bad morning together. As is frequently the case, they both made mistakes that only made the situation worse for the other.

We were together almost 2 hours and depending on who you talk to, progress may or may not have been made. I went to work after that and as I worked and listened to my iPod, I realized how badly I'd blown it. I didn't serve my friend very well. In retrospect there were signs I should have picked up on telling me to back off a little bit but I didn't see them at the time.

It's not that what I said was wrong, it's just that she wasn't ready to hear it. She probably felt ganged up on too. Man, we really love these guys. We totally had their best interests at heart.

I tried to call her but got her voicemail...maybe on purpose or maybe not, I don't really know. So, I simply said, "Hi, it's Julie. I just wanted to call and tell you I realize I didn't serve you very well today. I'm so sorry. I'll try to catch up with you later." I wanted to say so much more than that but it just didn't seem right to do so.

Lesson learned. Even good advice, when not ready to be received, is not appropriate. I've had others do it to me so I really should know better. Hopefully she calls me soon....

No comments: