Wednesday, September 5, 2007

The Preacher

Steve preached for the first time this past Sunday and I found myself thinking, "he's pretty good!" I'm not necessarily surprised because not only was he thoroughly prepared, he was also being obedient which means, of course, that God was using him and blessing him. For a first sermon it was unbelievably good, clear, and laid out succinctly; believe me when I tell you I was just as nervous as he was. I desperately wanted him to be well received and I wanted the entire thing to go smoothly so he wouldn't be discouraged.

I've heard many sermons in my day and been bored to tears by the most seasoned pastors. I attribute this more to me than them because of my attitude or approach to the service. I've come to realize God can (and does) use anybody who will be a mere vessel. The rest is up to him to accomplish. Therein lies the key -- Steve doesn't need to be eloquent or perfect -- he just needs to do what God has asked him to do and so he has.

He doesn't intend to preach frequently at this point but since our pastor was on vacation and we're just starting phase 2 at CBC, he found it the perfect opportunity to share his vision for the church and let them know where, as their leader, he plans to take them.

I'm in awe at the spiritual growth in Steve which started long before he went to Iraq but ramped up significantly while he was there and since he returned. I almost can't believe it's the same guy. Thus is the sanctifying work.......

No comments: