Friday, September 14, 2007

But it's IMPOSSIBLE!

Last night marked the 2nd lesson in an 11-week Bible study. Leading a study is a great experience for me -- not because I think I do anything all that wonderful or that I'm particularly gifted but because it demands discipline. I absolutely have to finish the lessons, even if they are hard or intensely personal, and I have to do additional study so I can have something relevant to say and answer questions.

This past week a verse just jumped off the page and became the landing point for my brief insight. It came out of Luke 1:37 which says, "For nothing is impossible with God." I shared with the ladies that because I have limitations, I frequently humanize God and give him those same limitations. BUT, that verse is in direct contradiction with my tendency. Nothing is impossible with God -- NOTHING!

I showed them a couple of places in scripture where God did the impossible; first, he made the sun stand still for Joshua. The sun stood still until the battle was over (Josh. 10)! Then in Isaiah he gave a promise to Hezekiah and as a sign of the promise he made the shadow cast by the sun go back 10 steps (Isa. 38). That's right, the shadow went backwards! And of course, who can forget that he parted the Red Sea so the Israelites could walk through on dry ground (Ex. 14)? And to prove that God is still at work in our time, I shared the part of Corrie Ten Boom's story where her bottle of vitamin drops did not run out while in concentration camp and she gave to more and more women every day. Unbelievable!

And so I am reminded that God is still in the business of miracles that both delight his children and show his power and glory. The greatest perhaps of all is when Christ lay down his life and took it back up again so I might have eternal life. Is there any problem I face greater than death? Greater than eternity in hell? No, not likely. Kind of puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

No comments: