Sunday, September 23, 2007

Keeping On

I returned from Charlotte today and am so glad to be home. It was a tiring 5 days and I have but a few days to do all the laundry and re-pack as Steve and I leave Wednesday for Chicago.

Even in the midst of the hectic days and late nights of working at the conference in Charlotte, I maintained the discipline of daily lessons for the Bible study I'm leading. While it might not seem like much, this was a huge victory for me. Even though I'm missing 2 weeks, if I don't keep up, I will end up hurrying through 3 weeks of lessons in 1 week and consequently won't be able to meditate on the lessons and really get what God intends for me.

One of the greatest truths this week came out a lesson focusing on the miracles Jesus did in his own hometown and how he was rejected and subsequently moved on. The point was that "Jesus was determined." No matter how he felt pulled, no matter how others tried to make priorities for him, no matter how they begged him to stay (mostly for their own wants and not God's), he kept on. It wasn't because he didn't care about people's physical needs but rather the reason stated was this:

"Because every other need humanity possessed was secondary to the need to hear and receive the gospel. Not unimportant, just secondary." (1)
For some reason that just overwhelmed my heart. He kept on. No matter what, he kept on with the spreading of the gospel. Christ was always focused on the eternal. Physical healing in this life and meeting physical needs in this life are important, but not primary, not the reason we're here.

Not rocket science, just a reminder. And we must keep on as well.

(1) Taken from Jesus One And Only 2000 by Beth Moore; p63.

No comments: