Friday, September 7, 2007

Monday Fun-Day

We had the best time with Erica and Peter on Monday...and where was my camera? Sitting on my counter at home. AARRGGHH! I specifically made a mental note to bring it so now we know what my mental capacity is.

We first went to Pictograph State Park and I couldn't believe how much that place has changed. The last time I was there I was 19 and dating Steve. I went with his family for a picnic one Sunday after church. Back in the "old days" you could climb up on top and the view was amazing -- now that is all privately owned. Bummer. Additionally there was a paved walkway between the 3 caves. We actually started at the end which, by the way, is a steeper climb than had we gone the right way. Note to self: start with "1" next time!

We didn't exactly stay on the "recommended" paved route which actually made it more fun. We climbed the rocks and Peter thought that was one of the most fascinating things he's ever done. After a picnic lunch we headed to Two Moon park and followed the leisurely trails to the river and back.

While Erica is better at it that I am, we discovered neither one of us is particularly talented at skipping rocks. My first attempt didn't even make it into the water - yep, I'm that inept! Erica had one that didn't make it to the water as well and that one hit her brother square in the leg so as you can see, we're both rock skipping idiots. Fortunately we're also adorable and incredibly smart so we'll leave that talent to others.

The best part of the day was that it was simple, we were able to share some of the same activities we did as kids, we spent the day out in God's creation, and we just enjoyed the company of one another. One day they'll be able to take their kids (or their nieces and nephews) to the same place and recount the fun they had with us. And the cycle of life continues.

No comments: