Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Much Talking, Little Thinking

I drove by a sign several times today that is now embedded in my brain. I had to drive by it so many times because I had to take my car to the mechanic, then pick it up, and then go to work, all on the same street.

Anyway, here's what it said:
When there is too much talking, it usually follows too little thinking.
I have a great example of what NOT to do in Steve. I had it in my dad too. These 2 favorite men in my world totally figured out when to speak, when to be quiet, and have always carefully chosen their words. Apparently the example has been observed but hasn't yet translated into my practicing it!

I was reminded of several stories Steve told me over the course of his 11 years as a deputy. People, particularly guilty ones, just can't seem to keep their mouths shut. They are totally uncomfortable with silence so all he'd have to do is start them talking and without fail, they'd contradict themselves or talk such nonsense it was obvious they were guilty.

In all of this thinking I recalled Proverbs 10:19:
When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue his wise.
So, too much talking doesn't just reveal too little thinking, it's actually the spawn of sin. I can definitely be better at this one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can really relate to this one Jules. One conversation at a time...

Jill