Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Fit For Complaining

Today I was at EBC Laurel Campus putting another coat of stain on a new door. Steve was doing some drywall work and helping Rick finish the siding (which looks FABULOUS by the way). So, I had put the stain on and had such a wave of nausea that I had to lie down for a minute.

Out came some ladies from their study. There is one woman who never has an interaction with Steve without complaining. N-E-V-E-R! From my perch I heard her say to him on her way out "you really stunk it up in here with that door". SERIOUSLY? How about "wow, that door is looking nice" or "things are moving along nicely". Nope. It stinks in here. I actually asked Steve if it is possible for her to interact with him without complaining. He said "oh, I suppose it's possible, just not likely." HA! He cracks me up.

Oh, but that wasn't enough. She comes back and says "Steve, the toilet seat in the smaller stall in the women's bathroom doesn't fit right. You need to look at it."

At this point it was all I could do not to jump up and tell her to go home and use her own toilet. Or how about this one - use the OTHER stall if it bothers you? Can you guess what spiritual gifts I do not possess?

People are dying and going to hell, we're working our tails off to get ready for the grand opening and all she can do is complain because the toilet seat isn't EXACTLY right? Are you kidding me?

I was about to explode so I had to call a friend who could calm me down so as not to give her a tongue lashing she'd not soon forget. It just hit me wrong. Is it asking too much for her to encourage her pastor a little bit? Cut him a little slack? Or better yet, grab a brush and start painting? Can she just serve someone else?

My friend said "Juls, some people are just fit for complaining. How boring would our lives be without these people?"

She's right but my answer is, I don't know how boring it would be but I'd like a shot at it.

3 comments:

Michael S. Jewell said...

I believe that some people simply find some type of perverse joy in complaining. For many of these people it seems that being a thorn in the flesh of another is simply a way for them to interact. They possibly are not even aware of their negativity as it has become such a pattern in their lives. Cancer begins as a single cell, if left unchecked it spreads until it can take over. Bitterness and complaining are much the same. If not pointed out, they will continue to multiply until they bring about destruction. Keep smiling Julie. Bitterness is combated best through love and compassion.

Anonymous said...

I agree.. some people are like that.. I give you Kudos for not giving her a tongue lashing.. I fear I would have.. but to take my own advice.... Next time when she is being.."her" distract her with a compliment... oh' I like your jacket or did you get a hair cut? but then if she is a "true complainer" it will back fire on you and she will have something to say about them as well.... ok so I am no help.. Sorry!

Julie said...

Michael, you are so right and there is much wisdom in what you say. The true test for me is being able to be kind and loving when really I want to having nothing to do with her (on my best days) or invite her to find another church (on my worst days). I have room for much growth here...

Anonymous - I initially gave myself kudos as well but then realized that just because I didn't say anything doesn't mean I am free and clear because in my heart I wanted to poke her eyes out and we know how Christ equated thoughts and intent with action. Ugh. Sometimes it feels hopeless!

But, to love only those who love me, what credit is that?