Friday, September 11, 2009

My Blondie Turns 40

Today is the 40th birthday of my best friend and love of my life. I wanted to honor him with a
party but he asked that I not do that because he so hates being the center of attention. The complete opposite of yours truly. I've known Steve for 25 years, over half our lives. We met in youth group and given my affinity for blondies, I had an instant crush. It wasn't until 3 years later that I knew we'd get married one day.

Long before we said "I do" I watched my friend lose his mother and try to pick up the pieces of his life afterwards. He was 16. I cannot even imagine. He amazed me then and he amazes me now.

All life is a gift from God and I am in awe of the life of Steven Lortz. He is passionate about his relationship with Christ, his love of being a Marine, and yes, even his unpredictable wife. He never takes a single day for granted, probably because of the few short years he had with his mother. He lives life to the fullest, pursues his dreams, and never, ever looks back. He never wonders "what was", "what if", or "what could be". He simply lives today with what he's been given today.

I've learned so much from Steve about letting people off the hook, making decisions based on fact and not emotion, and having no regrets.

Steve is one of the true heroes of my life. I cannot fathom my life without him even when he drives me crazy!

Happy birthday Steven--I am crazy about you rather than just plain crazy:) You enrich my life and my family.

Pictures: Steve as a newborn (wasn't he HUGE?); Steve at 3 (don't you love the bowl haircut?); Steve training in 29 Palms about a month before he left for Iraq - 4 years ago but it seems like yesterday.

No comments: