Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Saga of the Spider

Let's be clear. I HATE SPIDERS. Hate. Them. Not to mention I'm afraid of them too. We seem to have a never ending supply at the Laurel Campus. One day while we were working I killed 4 of them and 2 millers (or moths for you non-Montanans). Actually there are a plethora of them everywhere this time of year but this year it seems particularly troublesome for me. Here's what happened today....

Well, before I get to today, I have to set it up with what happened last week. Steve went out to the church on Wednesday night and texted me this picture:

I sent him a text back saying "it's official. I need to find a new church." I so amused myself. I naturally assumed he killed it but felt the need to ask him. HE DID NOT! Can you believe that? I asked why on earth he'd let that thing live and he simply stated "it would have made too big of a mess and I didn't want to clean it up. Plus he's not frightened of them. He thinks they are friendly and valuable. My theory is this - when a critter crosses the threshold of a building, they must die. M-U-S-T.

So, today we went out to do some more painting and trim work. Steve was putting all the trim around the floor and window and it was my job to get the touch up pencil and fill in the air nail holes. I was moving along on my knees and I reached over to fill the corner holes. There it was. A spider so big I jumped up and screamed. I ran out of the room looking for Steve. He comes in and casually says "hey, that looks like the one I let live last week." "Not this time," I said. "KILL IT!"

He took a paint brush to budge it out of the corner and as it scurried away, he used the hammer in his other hand and squished that thing flat. There were spider guts everywhere. Steve was not kidding - that thing made a huge mess. There it was, running down the wall. I've never seen anything like it. Of course I'd never seen such a big, ugly spider either.

I wiped it off but was so disgusted and didn't hesitate to tell Steve so. Here's the ensuing few sentences:
S: Calm down Princess.

J: You say that like it's a bad thing.

S: I just didn't know I married a Princess, that's all.
Honestly, I don't know exactly when that happened either. But there it is. I realized it for the first time in August. And I'm okay with it. Then we left and he went directly to the landfill. Made me help unload too. I didn't hesitate to tell him that was not work for a princess but he wasn't so concerned. Actually, he didn't care a single itty bitty bit.

No comments: