Thursday, February 9, 2012

Perfection....

In the past couple of weeks I've had the oddest "ah-ha" moments over truths that are not really that profound but they struck me with such awareness I was forced to stop and contemplate the strangeness of such things.

First, somebody posted something like this on Facebook "if Jesus hadn't been crucified, raised to life and then ascended, He'd still be alive today." WOW. In my entire life that had never crossed my mind. Not one single time. Sin is what leads to death (both physical and spiritual) so having never sinned, Jesus would still be alive. That's one of those things that can drive a mind circularly crazy! Yet it's comforting and encouraging at the same time.

The second comes with a bit of a story. Last week Steve and I were having a conversation related to several things someone had said to me that were extremely unkind, unloving and completely out of line. I was trying to process the entire conversation and while I'm sure Steve would rather have been about anywhere else at that point, he simply stayed put and listened.

J: It's not like God expects her, or anyone else, to be perfect anyway.

S: Actually, Julie, that's not true. (At that I jerked my head in his direction and stared directly into his eyes as I knew more was coming.)

J: Please, go on.

S: God does expect us to be perfect. If that weren't true, Jesus would not have had to die. Perfection is the goal, God just knows we are unable to reach it. So there is grace, mercy and forgiveness.

I'm still nearly speechless over that conversation. Obviously not completely or you would not be reading these words right now. That is not horribly out of left field or pulled from the "land of profoundness". It's the basic premise of the gospel. I've heard it a million times, just not in this way. Steve frequently does this to me.

That thought is causing me to look at a whole litany of things differently. How would my actions, reactions and words be displayed if I was focusing on perfection rather than focusing on knowing I will fall short? I believe there is a stark contrast between striving hard for the goal even if I don't attain it, versus settling for less, knowing I have a way out. Don't get me wrong. I am EXTREMELY grateful for mercy, grace and forgiveness for without them I would be eternally lost. And it is no secret to anyone, particularly myself, that I am far removed from perfection.

But in my every day living and decision making, perhaps I would be miles ahead if I focused on doing the perfect thing in the first place. Even if I fall short, I am covered. But on those occasions I don't? I am favored and blessed.

1 comment:

Shellnutty said...

Good stuff Juls!! Thanks for sharing! Love ya! T