Monday, February 8, 2010

A Not-So-Simple Day of Rest

We left for vacation on Friday, January 29th but that day of flying was anything but restful. It wasn't horrible, mind you, it just isn't exactly restful bouncing from airport to airport. Saturday we made our way to the ship and spent much of the remainder of the day orienting ourselves to where everything was. Then it came. Sunday. I don't discount the fact that it was what we generally consider our weekly "day of rest" which for me, is anything BUT that.

That day, January 31, 2010 was completely different than nearly any other day, at least in recent memory. After breakfast Sara and I made our way up to the pool deck (aka Deck 11) with books and diet Coke in hand. I also had my camera, Bible, and study book. She lounged herself in the sun and within minutes I moved my chair to the comfort and safety of the shade (need I remind anyone of my freak lip thought to be caused in some cases by overexposure to sun?). Sometime later Steve appeared and told he had discovered Deck 4....the quiet deck where you could really hear the ocean and enjoy the quietness of gentle cruising, the only agenda for the entire day to get us to our first destination. Given how Deck 11 had become a bustling center of activity, I was more than ready and happy to retreat for a while.

I made my way to the elevator and glided to my haven of peacefulness. The chairs didn't lounge completely but I still found them more than comfortable, particularly with a second one drawn close for my feet. Steve pulled a chair to the rail (in the sun) and stuck his feet out for sunning. He so loves the heat--the hotter, the better for him. He's officially a nutball. I stayed back a few feet in the shade, opened my Bible and study book and did a few lessons. The warm Caribbean breeze was a welcome friend. By then Sara had joined me.

All of a sudden I was completely overwhelmed by a new thought--nearly to the point of tears. I turned my head to her and said, "I seriously have nothing to do today. Nothing I have to do anyway." She nodded. The thought so permeated my brain and soul I could hardly contain myself. N-O-T-H-I-N-G. Nowhere to be, no cleaning, no cooking....did I mention nothing? I didn't even have to get out of bed that morning.

I rested, not in the sleep sense, but truly rested my mind and my spirit. I was nearly perfectly at peace with my sunglasses on, my iPod playing softly in my ears, and the wake of the boat drifting off behind me.

The essence of rest. The lesson was not lost on me although the logistics are lagging far behind. It's in Genesis where God tells us the importance of a day of rest. I mean, really, if God took one, shouldn't I? It's not that He needed it but rather an example He set for me because as my creator, He understands my physical need for rest. The irony of all ironies for me is that I used to take Sunday as a day of rest and I remember all too well how the rest of my week was so much better. Yet since our dive into full-time ministry I feel like I no longer have time. How ridiculous is that? Now, more than ever is when I need a day of rest.

But it's not so simple without removal from every day life. All I know is that I must figure it out because it's not likely such a vacation will come along frequently. This one was a true gift and provision from God himself, perhaps for this very reason.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

That sounds like a perfect day off! Here's an idea: Could you and Steve shut off your phones on Fridays from 8-5, and use that as your day of rest? You'd have to say "no" to all invitations to do things that day, but I think people will respect that. If you decide to do something like that, though, you have to be intentional to rest and firm in saying "no." :) Just an idea!

Tari said...

I'm so glad you posted this Julie! I fondly remember our cruises and felt the exact same way! I keep telling Adam I need a Stay-cation. we aren't going on the cruise this year and I wonder at myself for my disobedience to this command! I'll pray for you and myself to establish good Stay-cation habits in obedience to God's example. Thanks Julie you bless me!

Julie said...

Lindsay - that is a great idea and very similar to what I heard from one of the pastor's wives from FL last fall. Obviously I never implemented it then either!

Tari - if you master the stay-cation, I will welcome any hints. I don't know why but I shudder at the idea of "vacationing" at home. It just doesn't seem right!

On another note, you both really blessed me tonight. What a privilege and honor to pray with you!

Lindsay said...

Right back at ya, Julie! I enjoyed our prayer time too. :)