Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A Matter of Mediocrity

This morning as I was waking up the radio was on and I listened to caller after caller give a shout out to their family members in current military service. Say what you want about country music (I love it!) but "The Breakfast Flakes" on 102.9 are patriots and activists. And just plain hilarious too.

Before long tears streamed down my face because I was so overwhelmed with gratitude for my freedoms and the sacrifice of so many to secure them. I recalled some of the fears I had not too many years ago as Steve willingly did what he felt from the bottom of his toes was his duty in the lands abroad. He told me what a great honor it would be to die for his country and the protection of freedoms and while I understood his heart, I desperately did not want to lose him.

Something the flakes said stirred up deep feelings in my soul. They commented about how one of the biggest battles we face is right here on American soil as evidenced by the recent tragedy at Fort Hood. An attack within by the erosion of our moral compass, the need to always be politically correct and a most dreaded word....tolerance. Yes, even of those who openly participate in any and every evil thing we can imagine. Those who align themselves with religions that encourage the slaughter of innocent people and Americans in particular. And to say anything causes us to be held in the highest contempt. And so we don't. We walk around with blinders on as if the freedoms so many have died for will last forever. Make no mistake, they will not.

I think of the Roman Empire and the enormity of power and greatness they once had. They crumbled from within. By the end, they were in utter chaos and complete lack of anything moral or good. Should we think we are better, smarter, or more advanced than they? Hardly! They were at the top intellectually, militarily, and (in their own mis-guided way) spiritually in their time. We, too, can and will crumble from within if those who know better don't stand up and cry "enough!" That's what drove our forefathers to this land in the first place.

Without the shedding of blood there is no remission (see Hebrews 9:22) and there is also no freedom. We didn't get the free country we have by talking about it or negotiating for it. The price was high and many were willing to pay that price so their families and the generations after them could hold fast to freedom.

Today on this Veteran's Day, let's honor those who gave their last full measure and do something. Let's not throw up our hands and think it hopeless. It is not. Let's not take our freedoms for granted and be soft or accept mediocrity. We can make a difference. Those who have died deserve no less nor do those coming behind us.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Your post made me think of this verse: If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

Julie said...

I've been thinking about that all year too. That was one of my first memory verses for the year.