Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Slightest Encouragement

Last week I was battling one of my infamous lip episodes. Even though I caught this one earlier than the others, it still took a toll on my face. The other two were humdingers with my lip hanging down to my chin so in comparison, this one was nothing.

But to me it was definitely something. I'm generally self-conscious so any anomaly is going to be intensified hundreds of times over. By Sunday it was not nearly as noticeable as it had been and people who know me well and know how obsessed I was about it kept telling me it really wasn't a big deal.

And then the most encouraging thing happened. From about 30 feet away I saw a young woman I admire greatly and am always encouraged by. No matter what happens in her life, she stands strong and declares how great God is in the midst of it. Surely she has her moments but you'd never really know it. She waved at me, took her finger and circled her face declaring "you look beautiful!"

"It's my new curling iron!" I exclaimed. She laughed and said it had nothing to do with that. There was not a hint of sarcasm or anything phony in what she said. She meant it and I knew it. I almost bawled right there in front of everyone. She had no idea what was whirling around in that brain of mine. We chatted a moment and then I had to return to my post where I was serving so we parted ways.

She had no idea how that small sentence impacted my entire week. Last night at the Ladies Christmas Party I had the opportunity to tell her how much I appreciated that comment and why. In the midst of a "feel crummy, looking crummy, self-conscious" kind of week, she saw something in me that made her declare its beauty whereas all I could see was a glaring imperfection negatively affecting every thought of myself.

You know, I do what I can to paint the barn (so to speak) but I know for certain this face will never walk a runway. Nor do I have any desire for that. However, if someone can look at me and see any kind of beauty, no matter how small, I declare victory. For I know in and of myself that any beauty I exude is only because of Christ in me. He is beautiful and he's making me beautiful. A beauty that not only lasts as the wrinkles come but actually grows.

Such great hope is found in the slightest encouragement. You never know what that one kind word or deed will do for someone's day, week, month, year or life. It's always worth the time.

No comments: