Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cans of Lysol and a Roller

One of the things I haven't talked about too much is the Sunday I fell at church. I still don't want to talk about it much. But that day one of my favorite people in the world saw it and lovingly stood to the side to give me a hug. He's 100 years old and I adore him--his lovely 90-year-old bride too.

That day he apparently went home and told her what happened. Later that week she left a message on Steve's voice mail telling me she'd heard we had something in common and said she'd love to visit with me if I had time. Because I didn't feel well at all, I delayed calling her a couple of weeks. This is also to my shame. But, almost 2 weeks ago I just decided to sit down and call her. In her humility she said "well, Julie, I'm 90 years old and I can't remember exactly why I called or what we have in common besides both being women." It tickled me pink. As it turns out, she had heard I have MS (I do not praise God!). She does. We had such a great conversation. As a matter of fact before we hung up, she said "it was such a delight in my afternoon to talk to a younger woman. Thank you so kindly for calling." My heart melted.

In spite of the fact that we didn't have what she thought we did in common, she still had some advice for me and I gladly listened. I mean, really, I have no pre-conceived notion that I know it all and that I don't need advice and mentoring from older women. That would be foolish, not to mention contradictory to scripture. In any case, she said "here's the best things you can do for yourself. Always have cans of Lysol on hand and get yourself a roller."

A roller? My mind began to swarm, wondering what in the world she was talking about and I had to consciously push those swirling thoughts to the side so I could concentrate on what she was saying about the Lysol. She told me how her husband brings home all kinds of germs after listening to kids says their verses in Awana. As an aside, I am so inspired by the fact that this 100-year-old man still actively serves in the church. That's the way it should be. Anyway, because her immune system is weakened, as is mine, she sprays the entire house when he comes home. As a matter of fact, she told me she's thought about spraying him too! Totally cracked me up. She said "some may say my house stinks because of it but I don't care a wit. I've got to take care of myself and you do too."

Back to the roller. "Get yourself a roller," she said. "I got mine for almost nothing and it's saved me in so many ways. I can bend over (I'm not sure but I think she was truly bending over while talking to me - as if I could see it) and pick stuff up off the floor and get over to the refrigerator and back to the table without any pressure on my legs." Ah, I thought, she means a wheelchair! Indeed she did. She said when she saves her legs the wear and tear, they work pretty well when she needs them to.

I don't need a wheelchair but I was so delighted by her caring manner that I didn't have the heart to tell her so. I thanked her for her wisdom and encouragement and after some more chit-chat, the conversation ended. That day was such a bright spot in my week and I was truly sorry I hadn't done it sooner.

So much wisdom and life reside within the confines of her frail frame. She doesn't get out like she used to or as much as she would like. My generation is so busy being involved in everything that we easily overlook the simple things we could do like making a 5-minute phone call to encourage women just like her. In return we miss the oodles of wisdom and mentoring she longs to offer. This is one of just many, many lessons I am learning during this season. Yes, it's about my physical health but so much more. I am bursting.

1 comment:

Sara said...

We serve and amazing God!